Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern

rosie dunne coverAny one who knows me will tell you that I’m a great reader. I will often read for many hours a day, but it is still rare to be unable to put a book down. This afternoon (at 3pm) I bought Rosie Dunne and this evening (at 8pm) I finished it. Now I will say the book left me feeling very confused emotionally, but I did love every minute of it.

Rosie and Alex are inseparable throughout their early lives, but the year Alex turns 16 his father moves the family to Boston. Rosie and Alex are devastated and vow to be together again as soon as they graduate. Alex, who has always dreamt of being a doctor, applies to Harvard. And Rosie applies to the school of Hotel Management at Boston College, hoping one day to run a huge hotel on the coast. And then on the night of Rosie’s debutant ball, Alex misses his flight and their lives are forever changed. As their lives move away from each other fate seems determined to keep them apart, but love is a strong thing and fate works in mysterious ways.

Rosie Dunne is told in a series of emails, instant messages, letters and occasional phone calls….it was very unique and so entertaining. The book begins when they are five and exchanging notes in class. The banter between Rosie and Alex is so marvelous. It is so engrossing; I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the writing style. Ahern certainly does a fantastic job conveying their thoughts and emotions within the small confines of correspondence.

The story will break your heart, lift your spirits, anger you and bring a smile to your face. Rosie Dunne is one of the best books I’ve picked up lately I highly recommend this lovely book.

No comments:

Post a Comment