Thursday, February 21, 2008

Just One Kiss, Samantha James

 


 




Author Samantha James once again proves that Historical Romance is much more than fluff. This searing tale, set mostly in Boston’s Beacon Hill in 1854, takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster ride. And like most good roller coasters, this one will leave you wanting more.

A deathbed promise sets the conditions of this story involving two brothers and the relationship they share. When Lady Elizabeth Stanton, daughter of a wealthy English earl, meets Nathaniel O’Connor in London, she is swept off her feet by the handsome, light haired charmer. However, just as things become serious between the two, Nat is forced to leave England unexpectedly, but not before extracting a promise from Elizabeth. They are to marry, but her father is inconveniently dying and she is unable to accompany him stateside. Nathaniel says that he must leave, but will wait for her in Boston.


Eventually, Elizabeth boards a ship and heads across the sea. She cannot stay in England, as she is now destitute because of a strange bequest in her father’s will. When she finally reaches Boston, however, she is not met by her betrothed, but rather his morose, brooding brother Morgan. Oh, and did I forget to mention Morgan O’Connor? Tall, dark, handsome, gray eyed Morgan?


But despite his good looks, the elder O’Connor brother is detestable. He is a man with a chip on his shoulder and heavy baggage that he cannot put down. And of course Elizabeth still wants the sweet Nathaniel and does not make that a secret. Ah, readers, but there are secrets, more than you can count and this is what makes the story so wonderfully engrossing.


From here, the book sails through a myriad of twists and turns, unexpectedly bringing an unwilling Elizabeth and Morgan together in a tempestuous union. But what of Nathaniel? I’m glad you asked. He is not what he appears to be. But then again, neither is Morgan.


This novel has it all – undeniable attraction, disturbing tragedy, familial conflict and explicit love scenes. The author explores the relationship between siblings, between friends and between reluctant lovers. Put this one on your must read list and be prepared to be breathless.

6 comments:

  1. Adding to the Amazon list! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty disappointed with Just One Kiss. Right from the get go Samantha James's writing style turned me off; her dialog was stiff and unnatural and she repeated herself often. Her heroine, Elizabeth, I thought was too stupid to live and Morgan was just a sex crazed brute. I love smut as much as the next person, but I need to feel connected to the characters and they need to be connected to each other for it to work. I stuck it out hoping the book would redeem itself, but by the end I didn't care what happened to any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what makes the world go 'round, Angela. But I'll stand by my recommendation - I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really can't wait to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now I've got to read it, just to see who I agree with! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to stir things up a bit. :)~ It may just be me, but I couldn't help finding Elizabeth extremely annoying. I'm curious what the rest of you think about it. And I still LOVE your reviews Donna, so keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete