Monday, November 18, 2013

Kisses, She Wrote: A Christmas Romance (Novella) by Katharine Ashe


"It wasn't every day that a man discovered himself to be the hero of a virgin's secret diary."

"It would be the height of dishonorableness to continue reading."

"She could burn the diary now and cast the earl entirely from her thoughts. Or for a few more weeks she could enjoy his company..."


I read a lot of Regency romance and although I try to avoid it, I often notice the similarity between plot lines; it's almost inevitable given the structure of the genre. However, I was surprised and pleased to note that "Kisses, She Wrote: A Christmas Romance" is adorably original.

I didn't believe I would come to like, much less love the hero of the novella, Cam Westfall, the Earl of Bedwyr. The ignoble act of reading Princess Jacqueline of Sensaire's private diary combined with the earl's self-serving plagiaristic tendencies - all but assured me that this was one hero who was going to have to work overtime to earn my adoration. And work he did. In the end it was his gorgeous poetry and his budding, reluctant vulnerability that sealed the deal for me. The princess, however, proves to be a much tougher sell...

Ms. Ashe's writing is wonderful; the 176 pages turned themselves and I was lost - as any reader should be - in this timeless love story. Well done!

(Just a note: The publication date for "Kisses, She Wrote: A Christmas Romance" is December 3, 2013.  As of tonight, however, the book is on Kindle pre-order for .99.  It's a great deal while it lasts.)



No comments:

Post a Comment